Things I would like to say to people, but a sense of propriety (usually) keeps me from doing so.
Tuesday, December 21, 2010
CSP: Whoa, Above My Pay Grade
From the Civil Service Phrasebook. Handy expression that allows one at a GS-13 ranking or lower to avoid ever making a decision or taking responsibility for a decision. (GS-14 and up avoid decisions and responsibilities by asking for a white paper, which never gets written, and they can then can blame their underlings for providing insufficient information.) Particularly astute GSers have honed their decision radar so that they can avoid even being in a room where a decision is being made.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm completely failing. I have a weekly "Decision" meeting, no wonder only contractors show up... - Joel
ReplyDeleteYou're new to this Joel - that's why you still try. :-) The contractors probably show up because a motivated GS is a rare treat.
ReplyDeleteThere is a final phase to this too ...
ReplyDeleteIf forced further for a decision ... the GS gives cosmic high level requirement to the contractors, expecting them to come up with the ultimate solution with little to no guidance. Judgment is levied upon the contractor - usually during the initial introduction to the customer - based on the reaction of the customer at that time.
Not that I've ever been there myself of course.