What is Cloud Computing really to the average end user? Basically it means you don't know WhereTF the server is, who is running it, how it is being run, or who to call when you have problems. It's a giant friggin' black hole with all of the critical bits beyond the event horizon. It may be cool technology for the people who get to run it, but just try getting anyone to help you with anything!
Why the wrath about the Cloud? It's not just those annoying Microsoft commercials. It's the fact that my work email is moving "to the Cloud" in the guise of an "enterprise Exchange server" that is who-knows-where. And we thought it was bad enough contacting the local admins...ha! So if I stop answering work email next week, well, you'll know why.

I have a web-hosting server out there somewhere. They tell me it's in California somewhere, but but who knows? I send it bytes, it sends me bytes. How does this differ from The Cloud?
ReplyDeleteThe computer was born to solve problems that did not exist before. -- Bill Gates
ReplyDeleteI like the quote.